Harrisburg University will hold Commencement for the Class of 2024 on Thursday, May 9, 2024, beginning at 6:30 p.m. at the Forum Auditorium, located at 500 Walnut St, Harrisburg, PA 17120.
- Harrisburg University of Science and Technology’s 17th Commencement on May 9, 2024.
- The ceremony will last approximately 90 minutes and include special remarks by the Commencement speaker, the conferring of degrees, and individual recognition of each graduate as he or she crosses the stage.
- Doors open for guests at 5 pm. Guests may sit anywhere they prefer, except where sections are blocked off.
- We will have designated areas for handicap seating for those needing it. Please ask ushers for assistance if required. The University does not provide, loan, or rent wheelchairs.
- Harrisburg University holds only ONE commencement ceremony annually, which takes place in May. Students cannot postpone their graduation ceremony to next year’s ceremony.
- There are no tickets for Commencement. We do not set a limit on the number of your guests. However, we do ask that you RSVP the number of your guests here: https://www.harrisburgu.edu/commencement/commencement-rsvp/
- The University does not provide graduation announcements.
- Information on how to order regalia will be forthcoming.
- Diplomas are created and mailed to the address on your records 4-6 after the semester ends. For Spring, students can pick up Diplomas following the Commencement Ceremony.
- Due to the size of the graduating class and the limited space available, we will not be able to host a reception following the commencement ceremony. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We recommend that graduates and their guests make plans and reservations to celebrate at the restaurants downtown or other locations. This will allow everyone to enjoy the occasion fully and celebrate the achievements of the graduates. Thank you for your understanding, and congratulations on your graduation. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
Have you met the Degree Requirements
If you have questions about whether you have met all degree requirements, contact Records and Registration by submitting a ticket through the Records and Registration Support Portal via the following link, https://reghelp.harrisburgu.edu.
International Student Commencement Support
International students who need to request a Commencement Support Letter(s) for your family, please submit the form on MyHU > Academics tab > E-forms > Commencement Support Letter Request.
ALL graduates must report to the staging area of the Forum Auditorium by 6 p.m. Rehearsal will begin promptly at 6:30 PM. It is highly suggested that you attend practice, but it is not mandatory.
During rehearsal, we will review and practice the following:
- Your place in line for the processional; How to find your assigned seat in the Forum Auditorium.
- Where to look for the photographers when you are approaching the stage and receiving your diploma,
- How to recess and exit the ceremony.
This is the only rehearsal. Please do your best to be here so you know what to do on the day of commencement.
- The ceremony begins promptly at 6:30 p.m. The ceremony will last approximately 90 minutes.
- All graduates must report to the staging area of the Forum Auditorium by 5:30 p.m., arrive at 4:30 p.m. if you would like photographs taken.
- All graduates must be dressed in regalia, ready to go and in line for the processional by 6:00 p.m.
- Proceed to the graduate staging area of the Forum Auditorium. Look for the directional signs posted throughout the building.
- Your guests (including children and family members) are not permitted in the backstage area before the ceremony.
- Before the ceremony, we will have photographers available to take individual photos of you, if you choose.
- If you’d like to have your photo taken, please arrive by 4:30 p.m. to allow for enough time for photographs.
- Once the ceremony begins and you are on the floor of the Forum Auditorium, you are not to leave the ceremony for any reason.
- Due to the formality of this occasion, and safety concerns when walking on the steps of the stage, please wear appropriate footwear.
- High heels, stilettos, flip flops, and any other loose-fitting shoes are not recommended.
- Any personal items, such as a jacket, must be left with your family, in your car or in the staging area. However, no valuables may be left in this area.
- Any graduate that shows signs of being under the influence of drugs/alcohol will not be allowed to participate in the ceremony.
- Graduate and professional students already have graduated (with a bachelor’s degree), they should wear tassels on the left side of caps, over their hearts, throughout commencement ceremonies. Faculty members and administrators also should wear tassels on the left side of caps during processions and commencement ceremonies.
The Harrisburg University of Science and Technology has engaged a photographer to take an individual color photograph of each graduate receiving a diploma. You do not have to make prior arrangements for this service. The Office of University Advancement will set up a page so graduates, and their families can download photos approximately eight weeks after Commencement. Guests will be permitted to take photographs from their seats, but the use of flashbulbs is discouraged. We ask that guests remain seated as much as possible to avoid interrupting the ceremony. The photographers will also take pictures as you receive your diploma cover during the ceremony.
All photographs from the event will be uploaded and shared on the Harrisburg University Flickr account for everyone to view.
Parking: Off-street parking is not free in Downtown Harrisburg. Neither is the University’s garage. There are several parking garages near the Forum. These garages are not free. Click here for more information.
Livestream: HU will also livestream and record the event. Family and friends will be able to view the ceremony live over the internet at https://livestream.com/hu/hulive if they are unable to attend in-person.
Certain hotels in the region offer discounted rates for University visitors, enrolled students, their families, and others participating in University events. Book your accommodations at these hotels, which are featured below alphabetically. Hilton Harrisburg and the Crowne Plaza are the hotels within easy walking distance of the University. link it to there Preferred Hotels For Visitors – Harrisburg University
Class rings are available for purchase through Jostens at www.Jostens.com Prices vary, depending on the style that you choose. For more information please call Jostens at 800.854.7464
Your diploma measures 11 x 14. Diploma frames are available through Framing Success at www.framingsuccess.com or Jostens at www.Jostens.com. Prices vary depending on the molding style and the glass you select. After looking through this site, please email Commencement@HarrisburgU.edu with any remaining questions.