Professional Development & Continuing EducationProject Management Fundamentals (In-Person)
This highly-interactive course emphasizes fundamental project processes and knowledge areas, terms, tools, and formulas and extends the knowledge base into soft skills such as communication, conflict management, team development, and leadership.
Agile framework and methodologies such as Scrum will also be covered during sessions.
- Demonstrate knowledge of key leadership skills, traits, and approaches
- Identify and implement conflict resolution strategies
- Demonstrate knowledge of project best practices and processes
- Demonstrate knowledge of project tools and procedures for the implementation of formal project management methodologies
- Demonstrate knowledge of communication management approaches, team development, and motivational theories.
- Demonstrate knowledge of agile framework including scrum methodology.
If you would like to formalize your knowledge and understanding of industry best practices, project management standards, and leadership skills, then this course is for you.
- Professionals who have been directly involved in initiating, planning, executing, controlling and closing of any kind of projects
- Professionals who are working as project managers or key project or program team members
- Those who want to gain a greater understanding of the project management process
- Individuals tasked with developing and managing teams in a project environment
The course is intended for project professionals in any business work areas who have been working as project managers or key members of project teams for at least 3 years. The course will provide the following benefits to these participants:
- Comprehensive understanding of project management processes, knowledge areas, formulas, terms and individual process steps for project management
- Identify advanced set of project management tools and techniques for continued use or new implementation at the workplace
- Recognize and be able to implement leadership traits, soft skills, motivational approaches, and conflict resolution strategies
- Develop a deep understanding of the value and benefits to risk management in project efforts
This course is taught by professors who are also practitioners with many years of managing projects in different industries. Case studies of projects in different industries will be shared and explored so that you experience some of the complexities of managing a project.
The class includes lecture and discussion, case studies, exercises, and discovery.
- Knowledge and Processes
- Scope Planning
- Activity Sequencing
- Resource Planning
- Activity Duration
- Risk Planning
- Scheduling Tools
- Cost Planning
- Project Plans
- Project Execution
- Project Control
- Project Closing
- Agile Scrum Fundamentals
- Leadership and Emotional Intelligence
- Establishing a Project Management Capability
Case Studies will be used throughout the course to provide the student with hands-on practical exercises.
There is no pre-requisite knowledge, skills, or experience.
Participants of this course can earn up to 24 PDUs from PMI® upon completion.
The following materials are included in the cost of the course:
- Student guide (spiral bound workbook of all slides presented)
- 1 paperback copy of The Fast Forward MBA in Project Management
Note: Food and beverages will not be provided. Attendees may bring their own food and beverages to class. There are many local restaurants around the University, and a food court located in Strawberry Square.
Other forms of payment accepted:
If you prefer to send payment by check rather than by credit card online, please contact us for more information.
You may register and pay for up to 3 people at one time. If you need to register more than 3, please contact us so we can assist you with a bulk registration.
Parking fees are not included with your registration fee. Attendees are responsible for all parking costs. There are many options for parking near the University. For more information, please visit the Park Harrisburg site at: https://parkharrisburg.com/
Cancellation & Refunds:
Harrisburg University reserves the right to cancel or reschedule courses/events at its discretion. Should a program or event be cancelled by the University, a full refund will be issued.
If you need to cancel your registration and would like a refund, please email MMafnas@HarrisburgU.edu. Please attach the confirmation email that you received at time of registration.
- A refund of 100% will be issued up until 30 days in advance of the course/event date.
- A refund of 50% will be issued up until 8 days prior to the start of the course/event.
- No refunds will be issued for cancellations 7 or less days prior to the start of the course/event.
I walked away with a better understanding of the details needed to manage a project and the tools and strategies needed to break it down.
May 15 – 17, 2023
Carolyn Shaw – Harrisburg University
July 11 – 13, 2023
Interested in this topic area for you or your organization?
Contact ProfessionalEd@HarrisburgU.edu today to discuss a customized solution.
Harrisburg University The Center for Project Management for Innovation
The Center for Project Management for Innovation (CPMI) at Harrisburg University of Science and Technology aims to significantly improve business and project outcomes for state and local governments as well as local and global businesses through professional development, certificates and academic offerings of efficient agile and lean business processes used for Product Development, Software Development, Manufacturing, Business Process Improvement and Value Centered Project/Portfolio Management.Learn More