Professional Development & Continuing EducationIntroduction to KanBan
Introduction to the core concepts, principles, and practices of the Kanban Method
About the Course
During this one-day interactive and engaging course, you will learn how to design and implement a simple Kanban board. This course is a great way to get started with Kanban for visually managing work commonly associated with other popular project methodologies. It also a primer for individuals who wish to further develop their knowledge towards a Kanban Management Professional (KMP) certification.
Through this course, you will learn what the Kanban Method is, the principles and practices of the Method, and how you can build your Kanban proficiency by:
- Understanding the nature of flow associated with knowledge work
- Identifying your work item types and risks associated with them
- Developing awareness for the variety of Kanban designs and styles
- Understanding why Kanban has become known as the “alternative path to agility”
- Learning how to build a higher level of quality and efficiency into the work that you and your team delivers
- Individuals new to Kanban and the Kanban Method
- Teams or team members feeling overwhelmed and unable to report back to management on how much they can do given current demands
- People who have used digital tools like Jira and wonder if there’s more to Kanban
- Anyone currently challenged with balancing demand and capacity for themselves or their team
- Project-based interactive drawing and collaboration
There is no pre-requisite knowledge, skills, or experience.
Students can claim 7 Project Management Institute (PMI)® Professional Development Units (PDUs) which can be applied to Project Management Professional (PMP)® and PMI-Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)® certifications.
The following materials are included in the cost of the course:
- Template for building a Kanban board
The fee includes the materials above, a light breakfast, lunch, and hot beverages.
The following are not included in the cost of the course:
- Parking fees
Cancellation & Refunds
Harrisburg University reserves the right to cancel or reschedule courses/events at its discretion. Should a program or event be cancelled by the University, a full refund will be issued.
If you need to cancel your registration and would like a refund, please email MMafnas@HarrisburgU.edu. Please attach the confirmation email that you received at time of registration.
- A refund of 100% will be issued within 7 business days of your registration date.
- A refund of 50% will be issued up until 8 days prior to the start of the course/event.
- No refunds will be issued for cancellations 7 or less days prior to the start of the course/event.
Joey Spooner is an Accredited Kanban Trainer and Kanban Coaching Professional at TriTech Enterprise Systems, Inc. In 18 year career spanning the communications, insurance, higher education, non-profit, and government sectors, Joey has been a software developer, IT director, strategic analyst, and technical expert. He blogs at www.spoonstein.com and tweets as @spoonstein. Joey holds a Bachelors in Business Administration.
Harrisburg University The Center for Project Management for Innovation
The Center for Project Management for Innovation (CPMI) at Harrisburg University of Science and Technology aims to significantly improve business and project outcomes for state and local governments as well as local and global businesses through professional development, certificates and academic offerings of efficient agile and lean business processes used for Product Development, Software Development, Manufacturing, Business Process Improvement and Value Centered Project/Portfolio Management.