Professional Development & Continuing EducationInformation Security Officer Certificate Program
Executive-level leadership for senior IT leaders with an emphasis on cyber security.
The Harrisburg University, Security Center of Excellence, Information Security Officer Certificate Program provides a unique focus on leadership information security for executive-level IT professionals. It enables IT leaders responsible for information security to further develop the knowledge and skills necessary to succeed at the executive level.
The program focuses on enhancing the following skills:
- Leadership and Management – leadership and communication skills to build alliances across the business and establish security strategies that align with organizational objectives.
- Information Security Governance & Risk Management – Compliance requirements and the strategic decisions based on the identification of risk
- Information Security Architecture Management – Fundamental concepts of computer security, software development lifecycle, and countermeasures
- Security Technology & Operations – Incident detection, incident response, and disaster recovery scenarios.
To enable Information Security Officers to successfully bridge business and security strategies, the curriculum balances technical and management topics, and will appeal to both those who are natural techies, and those who are more at home with business and management responsibilities.
By focusing on security strategy, technology, communications policy, finance, and emerging technologies, the program covers a broad range of knowledge and skills needed to lead at the executive level.
Senior level IT security professionals will experience a venue for peer learning, network building and brainstorming that is refreshing and highly valuable.
Participants will explore all of the relevant skills and knowledge to conduct a thorough security assessment of their own organization, resulting in an action plan for improvement as an applied project and work-product.
This course prepares individuals to perform the primary responsibilities of a Information Security Officer. Application of these skills to the performance of security management will be emphasized.
The program will help develop the skills and knowledge needed to:
- Provide strategic leadership as a steward of the organization’s information security and a trusted partner with other business executives in the organization.
- Develop and implement a robust, accurate, and actionable metrics reporting process that maps back to the business.
- Understand and manage the risk posture of an organization.
- Communicate and work closely with legal and privacy officers to protect the organization from legal and regulatory non-compliance.
- Establish and manage the organization’s security policy catalog.
- Understand requirements for secure development lifecycle, and application security concepts.
- Understand and manage the security implications of emerging technologies.
- Secure adequate resources, and manage the IT Security budget.
- Lead and manage a technical staff of security managers, architects, engineers and specialists, as well as contractors and vendors.
- This program is seven (7) months in duration.
- Classes meet VIRTUALLY/ONLINE via Microsoft Teams, one and a half days (1.5) per month, on Thursdays and Fridays.
- Thursday class time is 9:00 am – 4:00 pm, ET
- Friday class time is 9:00 am – 12:00 pm, ET
See “NEXT COHORT” at the bottom of the page for the full schedule
Module 1: Information Security Implementation Skills
Creating a security culture within your organization by leading people and managing programs
Module 2: Information Risk Management
Identifying acceptable organizational risk thresholds and developing a risk management program
Module 3: Information Security Governance
Establishing and maturing internal governance processes to ensure all the below initiatives run smoothly and receive the required funding and that corporate leadership understands the importance
Module 4: Information Security Architecture Management
Discuss a mature organizational posture that mitigates vulnerabilities and risks
Module 5: End to End Security Operations and Continuous Monitoring
Developing a proactive culture around security operations, ongoing monitoring, and pre-emptive responsiveness.
Module 6: Ownership and Authorization Process
Establish executive sponsorship for the Authorization to Operate (ATO) process to ultimately develop an “Ongoing Authorization” Culture
Module 7: Capstone Presentations & Graduation
Candidates must possess the following criteria to be considered for admission in Information Security Officer Certificate program:
- A Minimum of 5 years’ IT security experience -OR- IT security leadership responsibility in their current role;
- Senior-level management/executive responsibility; AND
- Candidates are anticipated to be an Information Security Officer, -OR- have CISO or ISO responsibilities.
- Participants will be expected to complete readings and some written work prior to sessions. A capstone project, applying the program’s core curriculum to a tech assessment project will be produced and presented by participants.
- Attendance at a minimum of 90% of the sessions is required.
- Awarding of a certificate of completion will be based on a pass-fail assessment of the program’s curricular, attendance, and project-based requirements.
- For-profit organizations (private-sector): $3,885
- Non-profit organizations and government (public-sector): $2,885
Those accepted into the program or their organizations are responsible for the per-participant cost of the program.
Payment is not due upon application. It is due upon acceptance into the program, with invoices emailed with acceptance letters.
Application Deadline: FRIDAY, JUNE 21, 2024
Candidates will complete an application form to present their learning goals, past experiences, expertise, and knowledge they will bring to the cohort for consideration. [CLICK ON “APPLY NOW” AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE]
Required: Letter of Support/Recommendation
A letter of support/recommendation is also required from the candidate’s supervisor.
Candidates should provide the following information to their supervisor for letter submission:
The letter should include current position and responsibilities of the applicant, along with skills, knowledge, and any special projects for which the applicant is responsible.
The letter should be addressed to “ISO Directors” and emailed to ProfessionalEd@HarrisburgU.edu with the subject line as, “ISO Nomination Letter for [YOUR FIRST AND LAST NAME]”
Note: Your application will not be considered complete until your letter of support/recommendation has been received.
Applicants will be notified whether they have or have not been accepted into the program. At that time, accepted applicants will receive full course details and information on Orientation.
“Coming from a mostly operational background, I benefitted most from the discussions on risk management and building a security program. Plus I learned how to get a seat at the leadership table.”
Now accepting applications for the 2024 Cohort
Format & Location:
The 2024 Information Security Officer (ISO) Program will be delivered VIRTUALLY, via Microsoft Teams – with live presenters and facilitators.
Thursdays – 9:00 am – 4:00 pm, EST/EDT
Fridays – 9:00 am – 12:00 pm, EST/EDT
Friday, June 21, 2024
- All applications and nomination letters are due by this date.
- See the “Application Process” above for detailed information.
Application Status Notification:
On/By: Friday, June 28, 2024
- All applicants will be notified of their acceptance or non-acceptance into the program by this date
2024 Information Security Officer (ISO) Cohort Schedule
|July 18, 2024
1:30 pm – 4 pm
Module 1 – Information Security Leadership Skills
|August 1-2, 2024
Module 2 – Information Risk Management and Implementation
|September 12-13, 2024
Module 3 – Information Security Governance
|October 17-18, 2024
Module 4 – Information Security Architecture Management
|November 14-15, 2024
|Module 5 – End to End Security Operations and Continuous Monitoring
|December 12-13, 2024
Module 6 – Ownership, Authorization and Prioritization Process
|January 16-17, 2025
Module 7 – Capstone Presentations, Program Review Session, Graduation
|February 6-7, 2025
Our Centers and Institutes Security Center of Excellence (SCE)
The Harrisburg University GTI Security Center of Excellence aims to be a strategic partner with public sector organizations in their information security and cyber defense efforts by providing innovative and effective educational programs and community building services.